A small business owner can turn the unpaid customer invoices into fast cash with the help of invoice factoring. This method has gained much popularity in the last few years for businesses whose customers are other businesses. It can be quite frustrating to wait for customers to make the payment of their remaining balances. These issues get easily resolved with the help of this smart financing option. Read the complete post to know the advantages and disadvantages of factoring in the invoices.
What is invoice factoring?
It is one type of finance facility that is offered by a broker to help business owners leverage their unpaid invoices with an instant cash flow. Whenever a business owner gets a cash shortfall, he can get in touch with a trusted factoring company. The logic is to sell the invoice to a factoring company in exchange for a huge amount of cash. The factoring company then owns the invoices and collects the cash from the customers of the partnership company within 30 to 90 days.
Advantages of factoring invoices
- Immediate Cash Flow: Applying for a bank loan can be time-consuming and it also takes additional time to receive the status. But invoice factoring offers access to cash quickly so that the business can run smoothly. When a business has short-term financing needs the company needs not to wait for the payment of the customers.
- Flexibility: The better cash flow allows the business owner to plan the business accurately. Many businesses can’t run long due to poor cash flow. It is a suitable option for companies that deal with huge customers.
- Reduced business overhead: It is a great way to reduce business overheads. Invoice factoring can also boost the morale of the employees working in the finance department.
- Affordable: This finance facility can reduce expenses as it’s cheaper than those bank loans and suitable for short-term financial needs. Depending on the size of the company and the number of employees, one can determine the amount of money. Those facing a low credit score can take the advantage of invoice factoring. A factoring company can hardly change 1% – 5% of the total amount.
- Improved customer relationship: Debt collection can be time-consuming and irritating. Handing over the responsibility to a factoring company can help in maintaining a strong customer-company relationship. In case the customers are not paying on time, the business owner can pay the employees on time without worrying about the cash flow.
This method is not suitable for companies that deal with a few customers. When an invoice is factored in, the factoring company handles the credit which also indicates handing over some control on customer relationships as well. In a nutshell, business owners who need fast funding can rely on this business strategy. There are too many factoring companies available in the market. But not all of them are reliable. Make sure to check their reviews, years of experience, license, and certification before handling the financial responsibilities to the particular company.